In all aspects of life

In all aspects of life

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Piano

I was lucky enough to be able to attend my sisters piano recital last night, (which she rocked) and I was struck with an analogy that I wanted to share. 

My wife and I arrived a little late, and the first student we heard playing piano was a small little girl, maybe 4 or 5, and she played 'old McDonald', and she played it very well. The piano is a beautiful baby grand. And from where we were sitting we couldn't even see this little girl play, she was hidden behind the piano, and her legs were too short to be seen on the bench. If you know pianos, you know baby grands are pretty spendy. A quick google search told me they were between $8,000-$20,000. That's a mighty nice piano to be playing something as simple as Old McDonald. And I bet if you asked the little girl how much the piano is worth she would have no idea. At that age she might not even comprehend how much money $15,000 is. She would probably be stunned and wide eyed. As I was listening to Old McDonald I was thinking of the great composers like Motzart and Beethoven and the complex pieces they wrote. I was struck with the thought that this is how some of us use our lives. Instead of putting in the work, and the effort to play complex pieces we settle for the mundane, easy Old McDonalds. Just like that piano was made to play great music, we wee created to do great things. True, we can get by just doing things that are easy, but if we put in the discipline of learning, and failing, and trying we can achieve far better than Old McDonald. 

No comments:

Post a Comment