In all aspects of life

In all aspects of life

Monday, May 2, 2011

Idle Talk

I was listening to the local Christian radio station the other day, and someone on one of the shows made a brief comment about how people these days are making light of everything with sarcastic comments and jokes and not taking life more seriously. It didn't take me but a moment to agree with her. Things that should be taken seriously seem to be blown off with a "that sucks" or "too bad for them" or something along those lines. We ( I ) tend to be far to flippent over things that should be taken more serious. Not that I actually mean it, I just like to make jokes and keep the mood light. However, there are topics that ought not to be made light of. There are happenings in the world that grieve the heart of God. Injustice, famine, poverty, slavery, etc... these are not things that should be passed over so flippently. All of this is prefaced with what the mens group at church is doing their current study on; The Fear of the Lord. It has been such a great study about how we need to keep the Fear of the Lord alive and healthy in our lives. I've been thinking about that such thing and how I can/need to better implament the Fear of the Lord in my life. *insert radio comment* Then, on Sunday I decided to flip open my Bible and read a little before service began. Not out of any habit or anything, its just that none of my friends were in church Sunday and Ally was talking to someone so I thought I'd pass a few minutes reading. I happened to read John chapter 7. Now, remember I'm having these thoughts about not being so sarcastic and trying to be more serious about serious things. And growing the Fear of the Lord in my life. Nothing was really sticking out too much, and then I happened to make it all the way to verses 25-27.

Some of the people who lived in Jerusalem started to ask each other, “Isn’t this the man they are trying to kill? 26 But here he is, speaking in public, and they say nothing to him. Could our leaders possibly believe that he is the Messiah? 27 But how could he be? For we know where this man comes from. When the Messiah comes, he will simply appear; no one will know where he comes from.”

I was stunned. I got this picture of a few friends hanging out together, just taking it easy, having 'fun' when this conversation begins. They are so flippent about the situation without any fear of the Lord in their lives. They reduce Jesus to a common man simply because 'they know where he comes from'.

I don't want to be like these guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment